Top Roadtrip Snack Picks at Trader Joe’s
BY JACQUELYN DUGGAN
If you have a Trader Joe’s in your city (or follow one of the many fun accounts dedicated to this grocery store on Instagram), chances are you know what an absolute delight it is to shop and seek out fun finds there.
However, what you may not know are some of the hidden gems that can make your road trip plans all the more fun and delicious. Let’s face it: nothing is worse than driving to your planned destination without snacks on hand! I’ve shopped at Trader Joe’s for going on 8 years now and have found some fantastic travel staples for sometimes half the cost of major grocery stores, without sacrificing quality or flavor. Also, it’s almost always a joyful shopping experience!
Here I’ve pulled together some of my favorite road trip snacks that I purchase from Trader Joe’s again and again! Let’s dive in.
This might be the best aisle at Trader Joe’s – so where to begin? I could make a list of 20 items that I love, but instead, I’ll keep it short with a few of my favorites:
· Saddle Potato Crisps. Remember Pringles?! Did anyone else make duck faces at lunch in elementary school? These bring me right back to my childhood and are so crispy, salty, and delicious. A seriously fun dupe on an old-time favorite!
· Trail Mix Crackers. While these aren’t allergy-friendly, if you want to make your non-allergy friends happy, bring them these crackers on your next weekend getaway! They are so delightful and feel like summer camp in a cracker. I had a friend describe them as “life-changing,” – so that’s a cracker I can get behind!
· Plantain Crisps. Hear me out – these might be my favorite salty snacks at Trader Joe’s. I feel like plantain chips were kind of trendy five years ago, but TJ’s makes them a classic go-to. I love these on their own or with their authentic-style guacamole!
Mixed Nut & Dried Fruits
· Rosemary Sea Salt Marcona Almonds. RUN, don’t walk to snag these delicious almonds! TJ’s doesn’t have this one linked on their website, but you should be able to find it in the nuts and dried fruit aisle. Perfect on a charcuterie board and always a crowd pleaser. Perhaps the best part is that you’ll usually find them for around $5, which is a great price!
· Dried Mango Slices. I LOVE the TJ’s dried mango slices! It’s a fun snack that travels really well. Chewy and sweet, it’s an easy go-to when I want something a little different. This one also isn’t linked on their website, but I can usually find it with the nuts and other dried fruit.
· Plain hummus. Listen, I know hummus isn’t for everyone. I’ve tried so many different brands of hummus, and seriously, this is the best one I’ve had! It’s super creamy and is the perfect addition to a crudité or charcuterie board for your non-dairy friends. It’s also under $3, which is such a steal!
· Vegan tzatziki dip. My dear friend Heather shared this with me, and it’s so close to the real thing, you would never know it’s vegan! It’s crisp, bright, and perfect with crackers or a crudité in the summertime. I highly recommend this one!
· Authentic-style guacamole. If I can’t make my own guac, this is my go-to! It’s a bit spicy but so yummy! I always have people ask me for the recipe, and they’re surprised to find out it’s from TJ’s. This one also isn’t linked on their website, but I can usually find it in the case along with other chilled dips.
· Dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Also not allergy-friendly; however, these are super delicious! Dare I say better than a Reece’s? The chocolate is super creamy, and the peanut butter is the perfect ratio. A winner, for sure!
· Sour Scandinavian swimmers. I’m a sucker for anything sour, and these are no exception!
If you’re not shopping for wine at Trader Joe’s, you are missing out! Some of my very favorite wines are available at TJ’s for under $15. If you’re not sure what you’re looking for, ask one of the staff members! They are extremely knowledgeable and will help you figure out exactly what you need. My favorite go-to bottles are from the Trader Joe’s Petit Reserve collection. This rosé is crisp and such a crowd-pleaser: you may want to take it on your next road trip!
Not a wine person? They also have a stellar beer and hard seltzer collection. I’ve never been disappointed with anything I’ve tried!
Which of these snacks will you try for your next road trip? Do you have any favorites I’ve missed here? I’d love to know!
If you enjoyed this, read 4 Simple Principles To Refresh Your Pantry